Request for review of media type registration in draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-10.txt

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Apr 22 19:17:14 CEST 2010

* Polk, William T. wrote:
>Please review the following media type registration from
>draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-10.txt, which is currently in IETF Last Call.
>
>Note: The text is reproduced exactly from the draft.  Based on recent experiences, I understand that the following lines should be deleted:
>
>   To:  ietf-types at iana.org
>  Subject:  Registration of MIME media type application/dskpp+xml

Indeed. My comments on draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc-05.txt also apply here:
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2010-April/002349.html

>12.3.  MIME Media Type Registration
>
>   This section registers the "application/dskpp+xml" MIME type:
>
>   To:  ietf-types at iana.org
>  Subject:  Registration of MIME media type application/dskpp+xml
>   MIME media type name:  application
>   MIME subtype name:  dskpp+xml
>   Required parameters:  (none)
>   Optional parameters:  charset
>      Indicates the character encoding of enclosed XML.  Default is
>      UTF-8.

(My comments on draft-ietf-keyprov-pskc-05.txt cover this; note in
particular that there is no default value for the parameter, as in,
if the parameter is not specified, no value is assumed; instead, the
XML specification defines how to detect the encoding.)

>   Applications which use this media type:  Protocol for key exchange.

(I think this could be improved, but don't have a suggestion right now.)

>   Additional information:
>      Magic Number(s): (none)
>      File extension(s): .xmls

Does this correspond to existing usage, or why was this extension
chosen? I am a bit worried this might clash with existing uses of
the extension, though I have not checked this in detail yet, and
the type being "dskpp", it's not an obvious association.

>      Macintosh File Type Code(s): (none)
>   Person & email address to contact for further information:
>      Andrea Doherty (andrea.doherty at rsa.com)
>   Intended usage:  LIMITED USE
>   Author/Change controller:  The IETF

(This should be two separate fields, and typically the IESG is
named as change controller for IETF types.)