New Version Notification for draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Thu Oct 1 12:32:11 CEST 2009

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:01:14 +0200, Paul Libbrecht <paul at activemath.org>
wrote:
> Le 01-oct.-09 à 10:27, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:46:15 +0200, Paul Libbrecht <paul at activemath.org
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> but then... you are disputing any charset parameter in any media-
>>> type,
>>> correct?
>>
>> I have not been disputing the charset parameter as far as I know.
>
> Sorry I should have said "so you are disputing the charset parameter
> for anything application/".
>
> Either your definition is wrong or the charset parameter is wrong for
> any media type that is not in the text sub-tree.

I'm not opposed to text-based formats having a non-text/* media type.

Trying to argue for technical purity is a lost cause with media types, I
think. The more popular media types do not at all follow the rules from
RFC 2046, sniffing is required in practice, and we've been unable to
prevent more sniffing from being introduced due to lack of media types for
fonts (@font-face). In retrospect I think we would have been better off
with a defined algorithm of how to extract a type out of the first 512
bytes of an entity body or some such.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/