Review for media types: application/ibe-pp-data, application/ibe-key-request+xml, and application/ibe-pkg-reply+xml

Luther Martin martin at voltage.com
Thu Oct 2 23:19:39 CEST 2008

Comments below.

I'm not sure that I understand what the issue here is.

The definition and use of these media types is very similar to the definition and use of other media types that are used in cryptographic protocols. These include application/pkcs10 (RFC 2311), application/pkcs7-mime (RFC 2311), application/pkcs7-signature (RFC 2311), application/pkix-cert (RFC 2585), application/pkixcmp (RFC 2510) and application/pkix-crl (RFC 2585).

And the use of HTTP seems consistent with its use in other cryptographic protocols, like those defined in RFC 2510, for example.

The rationale behind using a POST for a private key request is that all of the information needed for the response isn't necessarily included in the URI.  On the other hand, all of this information is in the URI for a public parameter request, so a GET is more appropriate.

An IBE identity is just a string (which is eventually used as an input into a hash function). It's roughly like the public key that's used in other types of public key algorithms. I can't imagine a situation where you'd send a certificate request or certificate in the Request-URI field of the HTTP envelope, for example, which is analogous to what's being defined here.