Registration of media type FO and ZFO

Jakub Hytka hytka at 602.cz
Tue Jun 10 12:53:41 CEST 2008

Martin Duerst napsal(a):
> At 16:32 08/06/10, Jakub Hytka wrote:
>
>> Bjoern Hoehrmann napsal(a):

>>> See RFC 4288 on the possible values for the Encoding considerations. I
>>> am not sure what kind of format you have. Could application/xml also be
>>> used instead of vnd.software602.filler.xml+form, i.e., are these simply
>>> XML documents with a special type, or is there some special encoding
>>> that makes them non-XML without additional decoding? If they are XML,
>>> then I would advise to reference RFC 3023 for encoding considerations,
>>> and add the optional 'charset' parameter, and consider calling the type
>>> e.g. vnd.software602.filler.form+xml.
>>>

>> We want to avoid application/xml, as this is a specific XML file, which is only intended for usage in the 602XML applications, as only these applications know how to parse the document properly and display it properly.
>>

> I think having a dedicated type is fine.
>

>> Therefore the selection of the subtype. We also wanted to avoid putting form+xml, because some web browsers (like Opera) don't follow the MIME type settings and use their internal processing for files whose MIME subtype contains +xml as the suffix...
>>

> I think that's an error. It is a good idea to use that as a fallback,
> but it shouldn't be used in general. Did you talk to them? Are there
> any technical reasons why they do this? Does this happen if your
> application/type is registered with Opera? (in Tools - Preferences -
> Advanced - Downloads)
>
> Regards,   Martin.

This has indeed worked, thanks for the suggestion. The specific
registration in Opera helped, however the default behaviour is as
described by me.

We still feel that as we're applying for registration in the vendor tree
we'd like to keep the subtypes a bit broader, now i'm more inclined to
the suffixes form+xml (for FO) and form+xml+zip (for ZFO, another option
would be form+zip only of course). But we think leaving the 'form'
keyword in the suffix is better for describing the media subtype in the
vendor tree.

Jakub