Registration of media type FO and ZFO

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Mon Jun 9 20:01:29 CEST 2008

* Jakub Hytka wrote:
>Thanks for the suggestions Frank. I added some information under
>published specification to describe both media types.
>We still want to keep the vnd.software602.filler.xml+form and
>vnd.software602.filler.xml+zip+form subtypes, because they are highly
>descriptive in our opinion. Is this a important issue to be considered?
>
>Here follows the updated registration proposal:

>---FO---
>
> Type name: application
>
> Subtype name: Vendor Tree - vnd.software602.filler.xml+form
>
> Required parameters: None
>
> Optional parameters: None
>
> Encoding considerations: UTF-8
>
> Security considerations: FO is a XML-based plain text format, secured
>by signing the file itself through the means of the XML Signature standard.

See RFC 4288 on the possible values for the Encoding considerations. I
am not sure what kind of format you have. Could application/xml also be
used instead of vnd.software602.filler.xml+form, i.e., are these simply
XML documents with a special type, or is there some special encoding
that makes them non-XML without additional decoding? If they are XML,
then I would advise to reference RFC 3023 for encoding considerations,
and add the optional 'charset' parameter, and consider calling the type
e.g. vnd.software602.filler.form+xml.

By the way, your first message in this thread sounded like this is not
the first time you send the proposal, if that is so, please note that I
could not find a previous message from you in the archive.

> Additional information:
>
>   Magic number(s): NONE
>   File extension(s): FO
>   Macintosh file type code(s): -

I would advise against using this extension, I believe it is in common
use for XSL FO already.

> Type name: application
> Subtype name: Vendor Tree - vnd.software602.filler.xml+zip+form
> Required parameters: None
> Optional parameters: None
> Encoding considerations: UTF-8

Please see above for the encoding considerations. Perhaps you should re-
fer to the application/zip registration here.

> Additional information:
>
>   Magic number(s): NONE
>   File extension(s): FO
>   Macintosh file type code(s): -