Registration request for MIME media type tag 3gpp-ims+xml

John-Luc Bakker jbakker at rim.com
Fri Jul 11 19:26:46 CEST 2008

Hi Bjoern,

Thank you for your quick response.

In SIP, use of the accept header field and the content-type header field provides open and extensible data typing and type negotiation

The Accept header field (RFC 3261, section 20.1) of a SIP request indicates the formats accepted by the SIP UAC. MIME media type and their parameters can be listed in the Accept header for that purpose. Thus, what the SIP UAC is indicating are the variations of the MIME type (i.e. application/3gpp-ims+xml) that are accepted.

The Content-Type header field (RFC 3261, section 20.15) can be found in a SIP response and request and indicates the MIME media type of the SIP message-body. MIME media type and their parameters can be listed in the Content-Type header field for that purpose. Thus, it provides a hint to the recipient as to how to decode the material and, in particular in the case of "application/3gpp-ims+xml", which schema to validate the body against.

The semantics of the parameter are those of the header field the parameter is placed in.

On your ABNF comment; I have no strong opinion on retaining the ABNF representing a modification to another specification's production. I have CC-ed someone who may have, however.

Kind regards,

	John-Luc