OpenType MIME Type

MURATA Makoto murata at hokkaido.email.ne.jp
Tue Aug 26 03:18:33 CEST 2008

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
> > I'd rather not have vnd.opera.opentype or x-opentype as
> > we'd have to support that forever once shipped which
> > seems like a bad thing. Features introduced on the Web
> > that are successful (and I expect this will be) are not
> > easily removed later on.
>
> If a standard for what you want by a "recognized standards
> body" (as RFC 4288 puts it), exists, you could directly
> prepare a registration template, see the RFC 4288 chapter
> mentioned by Martin.  "Standards tree" is not necessarily
> an IETF RFC, it can be ISO / W3C / ECMA / ...

In my understanding, Open Type 1.4 is ISO/IEC 14496-22
and 1.5 is also in progress in SC29.  If this is correct,
one possibility is:

  1) JTC1 publishes registration information (on the
     basis of the template in RFC 4288) as an amendment
     of or technical corrigenda to ISO/IEC 14496-22, or
     incorporate registration info as part of the next
     standard for 1.5, and

  2) SC29 sends a registration request to IESG.

Of course, the registration information should meet
requirements stated in  Section 4 of RFC 4288.

Cheers,

--
MURATA Makoto <murata at hokkaido.email.ne.jp>