OpenType MIME Type

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Aug 22 12:10:26 CEST 2008

At 18:54 08/08/22, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:42:19 +0100, Martin Duerst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp>
>wrote:
>> At 18:22 08/08/22, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> Also, how do we ensure the
>>> registration happens fast enough for us to be able to implement it on
>>> time?
>>
>> What is your time frame?
>
>I understood that for Mozilla its a couple of months (though I can't
>really speak for them, understandably), for Opera it's sooner.

May be really tough. I guess it's better to start now.
Why don't you fill in a registration template and send that
here to move things on?

>> If you want this to be fast, something like
>> application/vnd.opera.opentype (see section 3.2).
>
>I'd rather not have vnd.opera.opentype or x-opentype as we'd have to
>support that forever once shipped which seems like a bad thing. Features
>introduced on the Web that are successful (and I expect this will be) are
>not easily removed later on. (For <script type> we recognize eleven or so
>MIME types meaning ECMAScript...)

There is a big difference between x-opentype, which is really bad
private use, and vnd.xyz.opentype, which is totally okay because
it's registered and all. I guess opera as a company was the wrong
idea, maybe adobe would work better? If you can get somebody from
Adobe to submit this registration, it might be done in a couple days.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp