OpenType MIME Type

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Aug 22 11:42:19 CEST 2008

At 18:22 08/08/22, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Relatively soon Opera and Mozilla will ship with support for downloadable
>fonts. Rather than sniffing, as currently happens for images, or ignoring
>MIME types altogether (ECMAScript), we think it would be good to actually
>check for a MIME type this time around. :-)
>
>What would be a good MIME type to check for here?
>
>  * font/opentype

This will take ages, if ever.

>  * application/opentype

Seems a reasonable target.

>  * something else?
>
>How do we go about registering this?

Read http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4288.txt. In particular 3.1,
and then some other stuff.

>Also, how do we ensure the
>registration happens fast enough for us to be able to implement it on
>time?

What is your time frame? If you want this to be fast, something like
application/vnd.opera.opentype (see section 3.2).

Otherwise, fast turnaround when submitting internet-drafts,
and serious addressing of comments on this list is probably
the most important. Also, try to talk to one of the Application
Area Directors (Chris Newman or Lisa Dusseault), because you
need one of them for sponsoring through the IESG if you want
to go the standards route.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp