MIME type for diffs, *any* MIME type

Lisa Dusseault ldusseault at commerce.net
Tue Jun 26 00:26:50 CEST 2007

Hi,

This has come up before and stalled the whole attempt to standardize
a PATCH method for HTTP: the lack of a properly registered MIME type
for any binary or text diff format.

The GDiff format described in http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-
gdiff-19970901 states the MIME type but it was never registered.  The
IPR situation is completely unclear.  No author of this has ever
responded to my pings.

The VCDIFF format is described in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/
rfc3284.html does not choose a MIME type. The IPR disclosure <https://
datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=40> states
that AT&T grants licenses to "transmit data over the Internet under
HTTP 1.1".   I do not want to start to interpret whether that covers
new HTTP 1.1 methods as well as the ones that existed when this grant
was made.  An AT&T guy responded to my emails and said he'd suggest a
more liberal license to the lawyers but we never saw anything come of
that.

Julian recently mentioned the POSIX 'diff' format which is most
widely used and probably under the most liberal license due to
existing source code licenses.  No official MIME type was ever
suggested for this until Julian's mail but a bit of googling suggests
that some applications informally use application/diff and this is
probably what is meant by that.  I am unaware of an existing formal
spec for this -- and that's the sticking point for registering this
one -- although clearly interoperability is common.

Can we just ask IANA to register any or all of these, perhaps with
appropriate disclaimers in the form about IPR or specification
formality?  Surely that would be better than the status quo.  Can I
help cut red tape here?

Lisa