Media Type "text/csv": new draft (-02) and Last Call

ned.freed at mrochek.com ned.freed at mrochek.com
Wed Mar 30 04:15:39 CEST 2005

> At 09:35 23/03/05 -0500, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> >Graham Klyne wrote:
> >>I feel compelled to ask the question:  should this really be a text/csv
> >>type rather than application/csv?  Past comments by Ned Freed with
> >>respect to text/html suggest possibly not, but similarity with
> >>text/tab-separated-values suggests maybe yes.  I don't personally feel
> >>strongly about this.
> >
> >Can you point to Ned's message?

> OK, it's here:
>    http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/mail-archive/msg00622.html

These are actually fairly different cases. HTML is typically littered with tons
of formatting gunk that nobody wants to see or muck with. (HTML where the
actual content beings huundreds of lines from the beginning of the object is
fairly common.) CSV formats are not cluttered up this way, can and frequently
are read or written by relative novices with no special tools.

I really can see this one going either way.

				Ned