Media Type "text/csv": new draft (-02) and Last Call

Yakov Shafranovich YakovS at solidmatrix.com
Wed Mar 23 15:35:54 CET 2005

Graham Klyne wrote:

> I feel compelled to ask the question:  should this really be a text/csv
> type rather than application/csv?  Past comments by Ned Freed with
> respect to text/html suggest possibly not, but similarity with
> text/tab-separated-values suggests maybe yes.  I don't personally feel
> strongly about this.

Can you point to Ned's message?

> Section 2:
>
> [[
>    6.  Field containing line breaks (CRLF) and commas should be enclosed
>        in double-quotes.  For example:
>
>        "aaa","b CRLF
>        bb","ccc" CRLF
>        zzz,yyy,xxx
> ]]
>
> Are there any CSV applications that actually quote newlines in values?
> (I'm not sure that my own CSV handling code would accept a newline
> within a quoted string)

Some of the code I have been working with is happens to do so. I think
it depends on which application you are using. For example I just tried
it with OpenOffice Calc v1.1.3 and it accepts newlines within fields.

> [[
>    7.  If double-quotes are used to enclosed fields, then double-quotes
>        inside fields must be surrounded by double quotes.  For example:
>
>        "aaa","b"""bb","ccc"
> ]]
>
> This is NOT how Excel handles quotes, nor my own code.  Rather, when a
> quoted string contains a double-quote character, the double quote is
> doubled up.  Thus the example would be:
>        "aaa","b""bb","ccc"

I just double checked with the applications that I am using and they
tend to work the way you describe. I will adjust the draft.

> Section 7.1:
> [[
>    [3]  Postel, J., "Transmission Control Protocol", STD 7, RFC 793,
>         September 1981.
> ]]
>
> I think this should be an informative reference, not normative.

Thanks for catching that.

Yakov