Media Types review for application/simple-filter+xml

Scott Hollenbeck sah at 428cobrajet.net
Thu Jan 27 14:12:21 CET 2005

Two comments.  The first is on the namespace registration template found in
section 8.2.  It says:

"This section registers a new XML namespace, as per guidelines in URN
document [4]."  [4] is:

[4]   Mealling, M., "The IETF XML Registry", RFC 3688, January 2004.

There are two problems with the above.

1. 3688 isn't really a URN document.  It describes procedures to register
URNs, but it is better described as the "IETF XML Registry".

2. Section 3.2 of 3688 describes what gets registered when registering an
XML namespace.  It says "XML Namespaces ... are named by a URI.  They have
no real, machine-parsable representation".  Yet the template includes a
chunk of XML to be registered.  It's not needed, so why is it included?  All
that needs to be registered is the urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:simple-filter URN.

Second comment: the schema in section 6 includes several elements and
attributes that allow extensibility, including "<xs:anyAttribute
namespace="##other" processContents="lax"/>" and "<xs:any
namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>".  I don't see any text in the document describing
just how these extension elements and attributes are supposed to be used,
though.  You really should add some text to describe the extensibility
framework.  What's allowed?  What isn't?  What needs to be done to avoid
namespace collisions and version conflicts?

-Scott-