Scripting Media Types

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Sun Feb 13 02:16:21 CET 2005

On Sat February 12 2005 15:16, ned.freed at mrochek.com wrote:

> There is no defined process for deprecation of a media type. The closest
> thing we have is marking the type as being obsolete, and the media types
> registration procedure specifically calls for this to be done "when use of
> the type is no longer appropriate". This IMO matches the present case
> exactly.

Ned, you're the expert on the registration procedure, but isn't the
current discussion about a non-type whose use was never appropriate
rather than a registered type whose use has become inappropriate?  I
believe that's an important pair of distinctions; we've seen in this
case an argument along the lines of "well, text/blah doesn't meet the
requirements for a text type but was registered as one anyway" -- I
suspect that yet another inappropriate registration would make that
sort of argument more likely in the future.