Media Types 'text/csv' and 'text/comma-separated-values'

Martin Duerst duerst at w3.org
Thu Feb 3 09:19:50 CET 2005

Hello Yakov,

Good work. Two comments:

- I think registering just text/cvs should be enough.
   One point of the registry is to reduce the number of values
   used for the same thing to one. The registration can serve
   to converge to that.
- I like the realism in the "Encoding considerations" section,
   but shouldn't you at least mention LF also for line ends,
   or just leave out specific values?

Regards,    Martin.

At 10:58 05/02/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
 >Hi all,
 >
 >I noticed that the MIME registration tree has an entry for
'text/tab-separated-values' but for some reason doesn't have any
registration for 'text/comma-separated-values' or 'text/csv. I have been
reviewing some of the stuff out there and so far have seen the following
being used:

 >application/csv
 >text/csv
 >text/comma-separated-values
 >text/x-csv
 >
 >I was wondering if there would be any value to formally register two of
the CSV types being used from the text tree (text/csv and
text/comma-separated-values). I put together a small draft which hasn't
posted to the ID repository yet. A copy should be available here: