Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMediaTypes)

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Tue Sep 7 14:58:31 CEST 2004

On 7 Sep 2004, at 13:54, Jose Rey wrote:
>> There are other text formats that include formatting modifiers, for
>> example "text/html". I don't understand why their presence would make
>> this a video format.
>
> Ok, I was guiding myself more by the what I understood as type of apps.
> However, just for my clarity: if we wouldn't use the "relaxed rules"
> could I still use text/? Is text/t140 conformat to the 'traditional
> rules'?

None of the RTP payload formats -- not text, audio or video -- can be
used with the 'traditional' rules. This is the reason why the MIME
registration rules are being updated.

>>> The MIME subtype /3gpp-tt cannot be used for HTML download since for
>>> that
>>> purpose a 3gp file and therefore the video/3gp MIME type is used.
>>> So I
>>> think this is indeed restricted to RTP.  However,  what is the gain
>>> of
>>> doing that?
>>
>> My point was that, since this is restricted to transport via RTP, it
>> can be registered under the "text" top-level media type.
>
> What I mean is what would be the use of having two, not one or the
> other.

The media type for the file format may well be different than that for
the RTP payload format, if that's what you mean.

Colin