Please review: DRAFT Reg of application/samlassertion+xml

Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Mon Sep 6 20:52:38 CEST 2004

> I'm a bit concerned that this might be read as asserting that a
> application/samlassertion+xml object must use the specific namespace prefix
> "saml", rather than any namesp[ace prefix that maps to a SAML namespace URI.

good catch, thanks.

> Assuming this is not being claimed, I'd suggest:
> [[
> Additional information:
>
>        Magic number(s):
>             In general, the same as for application/xml [RFC3023]. In
>             particular, the XML root element of the returned object will be
>             <saml:Assertion>, where "saml" as any namespace prefix that maps
>             to a version-specific SAML assertion namespace URI, as defined by
>             the appropriate SAML "core" specification (see bibliography).
>             In the case of SAMLv2.0, the root element of the returned object
>             may be either <saml:Assertion> or <saml:EncryptedAssertion>,
>             where "saml" is a prefix that maps to the SAMLv2.0 assertion
>             namespace URI:  urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion.
> ]]

how 'bout this build:

        Magic number(s):
             In general, the same as for application/xml [RFC3023]. In
             particular, the XML root element of the returned object will be
             <saml:Assertion>, where "saml" represents any XML namespace
             prefix that maps to a version-specific SAML assertion XML
             namespace URI, as defined by the appropriate version-specific
             SAML "core" specification (see bibliography).

             With SAMLv2.0 specifically, the root element of the returned
             object may be either <saml:Assertion> or <saml:EncryptedAssertion>
,
             where "saml" is an XML namspace prefix that maps to the SAMLv2.0
             assertion namespace URI:  urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion.

?

thanks,

JeffH