[Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-mime-app-mbox-00.txt]

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Tue May 4 01:32:15 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, May 4, 2004, 1:17:35 AM, Steve wrote:

SD> I think mbox format that uses binary content-types is probably less
SD> interoperable than one that uses text only.

That amounts to an assertion that eol conversions and on-the-fly
encoding conversion generally do more good than harm. It may be true,
but it may not be.

Tests using an mbox that contains messages in a variety of encodings
(including some multibyte and code shifting encodings) would be needed
to determin interoperability in practice.

If conversion to a local eol convention is considered desirable, I
would rather this was done by the mbox content type handler rather
than bringing along the rest of the text/* baggage.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group