[Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hall-mime-app-mbox-00.txt]

Steve Dorner sdorner at qualcomm.com
Tue May 4 01:12:16 CEST 2004

At 5:51 PM -0500 5/3/04, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>I'm thinking about the problem with defaults here. If it's under text/*
>then default is text/plain which is eol conversion, but if it's under
>application/* then the default is application/octet-stream which is
>binary. If we *want* eol conversion, then it pretty much has to be under
>the text/* tree.

You *could* put it under application and specify explicitly that it
takes a charset parameter and eol conversion.  How many people will
pay attention is anyone's guess.  In practice, I expect you're right
that text/* is eol conversion and application/* is not.

(I used to argue for an explicit CT parameter specifying EOL
conversion, but no sense reopening decade-dead debates...)