dns media type registration tree

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Sat Mar 6 00:45:48 CET 2004

Hi Larry,

On Mar 4, 2004, at 4:27 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> My personal observation is that most of the reasons why people
> deploy software that uses unregistered MIME types won't
> be adding a DNS-based tree. Things like:
>
> * Don't want to bother telling anyone else about the MIME
>   type, they'll find out soon enough

This is a reason why they don't register; don't know why it would stop
them from using a dns tree.

> * Don't want to reveal product information before product
>   ships

Very much the same as above; a dns tree approach would allow them to
keep it secret until ship time.

> * Can't figure out what the forms or terms mean, hard to figure
>   out what a good example might be.

No forms for the dns tree.

> * Confusion about registration of file extensions and MIME
>   types

You win there, if we figure this one out I'd be very happy.

> While the current form for submitting a MIME type registration
> is a great improvement on what we had before, the registration
> process is still pretty mysterious, not particularly well
> advertised, etc., hard to figure out...

+1. The nice thing about the dns tree approach is that it's obvious
what to do once you see one or two.

[...]

> Look at the process from the point of view of the people
> who we want to use it.

+1; that's what led me in this direction.