dns media type registration tree

ben at morrow.me.uk ben at morrow.me.uk
Wed Mar 3 18:29:17 CET 2004

At  6pm on  3/03/04 you (Mark Nottingham) wrote:
> Hi Ned,
>
> >I've been following this discussion for a while now, and while it
> >pains me to
> >object to something that would lessen my own workload, I find that I
> >have to
> >agree with Keith about this. The stability problems associated with
> >DNS names
> >are just too great.
> [...]
> >Given the huge amount of damage that's been inflicted on the
> >world by badly designed media types, I am forced to see further
> >reduction
> >of the barriers as a reckless step in the wrong direction.
>
> I agree these are the biggest -- and serious -- concerns with the
> proposal. However, the status quo doesn't seem to be working too well;
> rather than discouraging frivolous or poorly-considered media types, it
> encourages people into the "x-" space. This is borne out when you
> examine mime.types files and Web browser configurations; deployed
> software and formats are ignoring the process quite freely.

I would strongly second this. Even very well-known types such as
Macromedia Flash still universally go by names like
application/x-shockwave-flash, which helps noone. There is no review of
these names, and no means to prevent them clashing.

If using the DNS for providing unique names is seen as a bad idea, both
because the names are volatile and because it is misusing a system that
was never designed to provide GUIDs, then how about creating a separate
registry of 'organisations' which can then manage their own trees? So,
e.g., Macromedia could register */org.macromedia.* with the IETF, and
then manage that namespace themselves. The idea of each MIME type
carrying a parameter giving a URL with a human-readable description of
the format is also well worth preserving.

Ben

--
Every twenty-four hours about 34k children die from the effects of poverty.
Meanwhile, the latest estimate is that 2800 people died on 9/11, so it's like