Request for MIME media type Application/Vendor Tree - vnd.3gp p.sms-tl

Biot Olivier Olivier.Biot at siemens.com
Thu Jul 29 11:50:36 CEST 2004

|From: Martin Duerst
|

|At 11:52 04/07/28 +0200, Biot Olivier wrote:
|
|>The SMS service allows transport of text messages; however
|the character set
|>used in such an SMS message (including the message text
|itself) is part of
|>the binary data and must not be specified with the charset parameter.
|
|Thanks for the clarification. Apart from the change suggested by Ned,
|I would change "character set" to "character encoding".

I agree.

|I would also be interested to know (doesn't necessarily need to show
|up in the registration) what kind of encodings are supported. For
|example, does SMS allow message text to be encoded in an Unicode-
|based encoding? Are all the encodings supported registered as
|IANA 'charset's, or are there others?

According to 3GPP TS 23.038 (alphabets and language-specific information),
the GSM SMS data coding allows GSM 7-bit alphabet (which allows to stuff up
to 160 characters in 140 bytes), 8-bit data and 16-bit Unicode UCS-2
character encoding. The used data coding is encoded in binary fashion in the
GSM SMS "data coding scheme", and has no relationship with (read: does not
use) the "charset" tokens registered at IANA (although the used character
encodings are identical).

Best regards,

Olivier