Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMediaTypes)

Jose Rey rey at panasonic.de
Tue Aug 17 15:43:05 CEST 2004

Hi Colin, all,

Dave and I have been discussing this offline and come to the following
conclusions:

1.- it is not envisioned that the 3GPP Timed Text payload format will be
used for applications such as instant messaging or text conversation, which
do not precise of text decoration for working properly, since there are
other more appropriate media types covering these usages, like text/t140.
Hence,  video/ is enough.

2.- we are not clear on what exactly means to "relax rules for media
registration under text/".  I.e. is text/t140 an example of these "relaxed"
rules or does it comply with the traditional rules as per rfc 2046?  Does
the relaxed rules just mean that besides text also payload headers of that
media type are udnerstood?

We would appreciate your feedback,

Jose