Media Types in 3GPP Timed text draft (was: RE: [AVT] RTP andMedia Types)

Jose Rey rey at panasonic.de
Thu Aug 12 11:39:59 CEST 2004

Dave, Magnus,

inline...

As I said in my previous email, registering under 'text' top level type
would mean that the modifiers cannot be used.  Hence, we can differentiate
between applications that could make use of text w/o or w/ modifiers to help
in the decision:

also useful w/o modifiers (would be OK to use text/3gpp-tt)
====================
- captions (in most cases)
- instant messaging (?)
- timed text conversation (? )

only useful w/ modifiers (only makes sense with video/3gpp-tt)
========================
- commercial banners (decorated)
- news tickers (decorated)
- karaoke
- clickable text strings
- some captions (e.g. scrolling end actors' list)

Leaving aside that most captions could be useful w/o modifiers, the usage of
timed text for the 'text' type applications like instant messaging or text
conversation seems not very probable.  There are already simpler codecs and
payload formats to do this.   The whole set of features of timed text are
only available if the video/3gpp-tt is used... So maybe it is more
appropriate to register just under 'video'?

What about interop? Would it still be a problem if we register both?

Thanks,

Jose

-cut-