please review 'application/pdf'

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Fri Oct 24 00:13:16 CEST 2003

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, 11:02:11 PM, Larry wrote:

LM>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zilles-pdf-00.txt

LM> This draft updates the (9-year-old) application/pdf
LM> registration.

Its good to see the registration updated to point to the latest
defining specifications.

I note the following text:

  3. Fragment identifiers

   The handling of fragment identifiers [5] is not defined in the PDF
   Reference. The handling of these is defined by the User Agent that
   interprets a PDF file. One such agent has the following semantics
   for the fragment identifies [6]:

Is the intent here that the semantics implemented by 'one such agent'
be standardized for the media type application/pdf so that other such
agents can interoperably share URIs containing fragment identifiers?
(In other words, its not defined in the PDF reference but is defined
in this Media Type registration). If that is the intent, I believe it
needs to be more clearly stated. In addition, it should be verified
that the proposed syntax should conform to the BNF for fragment
identifiers in URIs.

If on the other hand the intent is that fragment identifiers are not
standardized for application/pdf and that URIs containing fragment
identifiers are not interoperable between user agents, I believe that
some justification should be presented for this design choice.

I also see

   o Accessing the document in ways not permitted by the document's
     access permissions is a violation of the document author's
     copyright.

This strikes me as a useful statement and I am pleased by its
inclusion.

My remaining comments are very minor.

   Acrobat, Acrobat Capture, Adobe Reader, ePaper, the "Get Adobe
   Reader" Web logo, the "Adobe PDF" Web logo, and all other
   trademarks, service marks, and logos used by Adobe (the "Marks")
   are the registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems
   Incorporated in the United States and other countries. Nothing in
   this book is intended to grant you any right or license to use the
   Marks for any purpose.

I see that the latest Acrobat Reader is called Adobe Reader 6.0, so it
might be useful to add that name to the list in the paragraph above.
Its covered by "all other trademarks ..." but then so are the other
examples given.

   Macintosh File Type Code(s): "PDF"

My understanding is that these codes are four characters. Please check
that "PDF" and not, for example, "PDF " is the correct code.

   Adobe Developer Support %lt;dev-support at adobe.com%gt;

I guess that these should have been < and > in the xml source
and thus should be, in the text version,

  Adobe Developer Support <dev-support at adobe.com>

 Chris                            mailto:chris at w3.org