proposed media type registration: application/voicexml+xml

Max Froumentin mf at w3.org
Thu Dec 18 19:15:36 CET 2003

Linus Walleij <triad at df.lth.se> wrote:

> ons 2003-12-17 klockan 00.12 skrev Martin Duerst:
>> Sorry I forgot to mention it, but Chris and me actually had such a
>> 'meeting' last week, and the email I wrote was the result of this
>> (and a phone call with Max).
>
> OK so then I regard this as official W3.org policy on transport type.

I expect that that policy would rather be set by the TAG. See:
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/0129-mime

"Thus there is no ambiguity when the charset is omitted, and the
STRONGLY RECOMMENDED injunction [in RFC3023] to use the charset is
misplaced for application/xml and for non-text "+xml"
types. Consequently, for XML representations, server-side applications
SHOULD only supply a charset header when there is complete certainty
as to the encoding in use. Otherwise, an error will cause a perfectly
usable representation to be rejected by an architecturally sound
client."

I don't know what Martin or Chris would have to say to that.

Max.