Spanglish

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 4 03:07:30 CET 2017

There’s no such thing as “code-switch languages” unless you mean the individual languages that a speaker switches between when they are code switching. Definition:

“Code switching is the practice of moving back and forth between two languages, or between two dialects or registers of the same language.”

As I mentioned in a post last week, the issue at hand in Michael’s scenario is that a reader of content needs to have some level of competency in both English and Spanish (or pick whatever combination of multiple languages) in order for the content to be understandable and relevant.

Neither the t or u extensions would be appropriate for this. A new “s” extension could be devised that has explicitly additive semantics: “en-s-es” means that both English _and_ Spanish are required to understand the content. Potentially, these could be chained, e.g. “en-s-s0-es-s1-fi” could mean that you need to speak English _and_ Spanish _and” Finnish to understand the content, with the ordering providing a prioritization (e.g., if your proficiency in Finnish more limited than Spanish, you may get by). But a key question is what is required of matching, since general-purpose matching algorithms likely won’t pay attention to extensions.

Peter