How to add 2 letter language code in ISO 639-1

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 28 22:15:44 CET 2017

Please, don’t bother!

If the RA does respond, then at worst they’ll say that the 639-1 code set is frozen. If you’re “lucky” (I’ll qualify that), they may say that Chakma doesn’t satisfy the minimal criteria. If you manage to get beyond that point (very unlikely, IMO), then it will have to get punted to the ISO 639-RA/JAC where I can predict with certainty that there will be lots of push back against adding any new alpha-2 identifiers.

Saroj, the important point is that there really is no need today for new language identifiers to be added to ISO 639-1, and that the alpha-2 code set must really be viewed as frozen legacy since it is too constrained to support the set of languages in use on the Web today.

Peter