Language for taxonomic names, redux

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Feb 28 23:09:51 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Caoimhin O Donnaile <caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
> quoted33333333333333333333333:

esox - Latin word used by Pliny to refer to a type of fish in the
>   river Rhine, probably a salmon.  Related to Irish eo, 'salmon'; Welsh
>   eog, 'salmon'; Cornish eghek, 'salmon'; etc.
>
>   Esox - a genus including the pike and related fish, and _not_
>   including the salmon!

Michael, I call that definitive evidence of the utility of the subtag.

If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was
leader of the House of Commons, he may well begin to comprehend how the
Egyptians worshiped an insect.  --Benjamin Disraeli