Language for taxonomic names, redux

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Feb 24 23:31:06 CET 2017

On 24 Feb 2017, at 05:23, Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 February 2017 at 00:19, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> If you mean my initial edits to a few templates, improving hundreds of thousands of articles after a few minutes work
>
> Is it an improvement to move from a consistent model (all taxonomic names are uniformly non-marked-up for language) to an inconsistent one (some taxonomic names on a page are marked up for language, others — perhaps the majority, depending on the page -- are not)?

This is why I pressed Mr Mabbett to see if he had discussed the implementation of this with the relevant communities. Unfortunately instead of answering my question (“Yes, I’ve talked to WikiBotany but not WikiReptiles” or whatever) he just tried to tell me that my questions about ramifications in wiki-space weren’t relevant.

Michae