Esperanto orthography subtags

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:14:50 CET 2017

On 24 February 2017 at 15:20, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> I don’t see why a third tag would be needed. The fallbacks  with -h and -x are just fallbacks. Proper Esperanto is the default.

That's more or less what the Lia Rumantscha said when I asked them for
advice on subtag names for varieties of Romansh -- Rumantsch Grischun
would not need a subtag because it was the default written variety of
the language.

Sometimes it's useful to specify that something is not merely "rm"
(which could be any variety of Romansh -- e.g. Sursilvan could be
accurately tagged like that) or "eo" (which could be any variety of
Esperanto, including e.g. h-methodo text), but specifically "rm-rumgr"
(Rumantsch Grischun) or "eo-chmetodo" (Esperanto in standard
orthography).

Cheers,
Philip