Language for taxonomic names, redux

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Feb 23 03:57:30 CET 2017

You said:

> Indeed, as soon as a tag is available, I shall see that it is used in literally hundreds of thousands of English-language Wikipedia articles about taxons, more again in other languages, as well as hundreds of thousands more in Wikispecies, and a even larger number of taxonomic items in Wikidata.

Surely if planning such sweeping changes you’ve discussed this with members working on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Animals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Biology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Evolutionary_biology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Plants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Science

Because if this idea of yours were a good idea, then it would need to be Wikipedia policy. Otherwise you could alter 50,000 pages and unless you were tracking all of them your tagging would be lost and the effort wasted.

Michael Everson