Language for taxonomic names, redux

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Feb 22 21:33:13 CET 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
wrote:

No; Germans will very likely say [tsitʀo] and not [ˈsɪtɹoʊ]. That’s not
> just “accent”.

The difference between [ˈwɔːtə] and [ˈwɒɾɚ] is just accent, despite having
only one phone in common.

Splendid, but this does not answer the question. There are surely different
> pronunciations common for these, differing from country to country and
> language to language. What prefix or prefixes would you intend this subtag
> to be used with?

Surely "Prefix: la" is correct, which allows any nationality tag.  In
practice, a nationality tag with "la" of any sort will be used only to tag
speech recordings:  one may *speak* Latin according to the German
pronunciation, but one does not *write* Latin according to the German
pronunciation, one simply writes Latin.  The same is true of every
classical language.

--
My .sigs are from my large and miscellaneous reading both on and off the
net.