proposed ISO standard for language variations

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon May 9 01:41:03 CEST 2016

I met the main author behind this at a TC37 meeting a couple of years ago. He was interested in things like this at that time, that would meet the needs of linguists generally, and wondering how to revise ISO 639-3 to accommodate all of those needs. I introduced him to BCP 47 and the provision for extensions, suggesting that as a better approach than trying to fit into 639-3 things beyond its intended scope. So, I wasn't surprised to see in the proposal the idea of using the proposed framework as the basis for a BCP 47 extension.

Peter