Subtag for indicating "marked" text?

Sascha Brawer sascha at brawer.ch
Wed Jul 6 14:56:34 CEST 2016

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Sascha Brawer
2. E-mail address of requester: sascha at brawer.ch
3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: marked
vowel length,
    vowel quality, etc. in languages where such marks are not part of the
regular spelling

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

The presence of this subtag indicates that text has been marked with tones,
vowel length, vowel quality, etc. in languages where such marks are not part
of the regular spelling. Examples include: Arabic Tashkil and Hebrew Niqqud
diacritics to indicate short vowels; Hebrew cantillation marks; tone
diacritics in
Cherokee and Lingala; or gemination marks in Ethiopic languages.

Such markers are not written in regular text, but can be seen in children’s
books, dictionaries, language learning material, or specialized language
corpora
where preserving the pronunciation is important.

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_diacritics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niqqud

6. Any other relevant information: