request for subtag for Elfdalian

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Mon Feb 29 18:29:21 CET 2016

Den 2016-02-29 17:48, skrev "Peter Constable" <petercon at microsoft.com>:

> In the context of the Germannic languages of Sweden, there will be follow-on
> implications as Elfdalian is not the only "dialect of Swedish" that is a
> potential candidate for being carved off as separate languages. In the draft
> code table that accompanies the DIS for 639-3, Delacarlian, Jamtska and
> Scanian had been listed as distinct, coded languages.

But Delacarlian, Jamtska and Scanian /of today/ are really mild dialects of
"standard" Swedish, so is Gutnish /of today/. (Among many other dialects,
some (not counting Älvdalian) more distinct from "standard" Swedish than
those four.)

> It was part of the
> compromise necessary in the development of international standards that those
> be removed to accommodate national body comments. If Elfdalian had also been
> in that list at that time, I'm certain it would have been treated the same as
> those three.

I'm not at all so sure, because, well, it really is a separate language, in
/very sharp/ contrast to the three you mention.

/Kent K