Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Feb 29 15:31:25 CET 2016

  If that's the way we're going ...

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:40:13PM +0000, Michael Everson wrote:
> The group responsible for the IETF language subtags is deeply concerned at the reasons given by the 639 RA for rejection of the Elfdalian language. There is no question but that its linguistic features are unique in the continuum of North Germanic languages. The reasons given for the rejection are poor: Two people with job tiles have essentially said “I don’t like it” and giving no linguistic argument at all. Rebuttal documents were far more convincing.

  I like the style, but feel that the last but one sentence in this
paragraph really can't be sent as is.  I suggest something like

	The reasons supporting rejection are poor and invoke mainly
	arguments from outside of the field of linguistics.  These
	arguments, originating from one particular Swedish governmental
	agency, are successfully rebutted in the other contributions,
	all of which support the addition of Elfdalian to ISO 639-3.

to replace the last two sentences.

  I also wonder if we want to address the under-the-roof-of-Swedish
argument head-on.

	Best,

		Arthur