request for subtag for Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Feb 28 23:43:28 CET 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> Not sure about the relevance of "Elfdalian" being used in the
> Ethnologue when refering to it as a Swedish dialect; In the review
> process the RA used Övdalian.

Probably because that is the name you used throughout the request that
they were responding to.

> I basically sent them the same arguments, and maybe/probably they will
> even use Övdalian if a new code is approved in the future?

That's too much speculation. This whole discussion is based on their
rejection of the request you submitted. If we conjecture that they will
approve a new code in the future, we should not be considering
registering a subtag of any sort on our own.

> I also strongly disagree about the principle that English names should
> not be changed; Words and names change all the time. We don't say
> 'nigger' or 'retarded' anymore, because the terms can be offensive for
> those we refer to.

Wait, I hadn't heard that line of reasoning before. Is "Elfdalian"
considered offensive or pejorative in some way?

> I think ISO639/IANA

Two different groups with entirely different processes. (Assuming you
mean ietf-languages when you say "IANA.")

> really should start a modernization process where names are updated
> according to the wish of the native speakers.

For the RA, I suppose that would start with someone requesting "Oriya"
be renamed to "Odia." At least there is near unanimity on that one. In
any case, the RA responds (positively or negatively) to requests from
users; they don't change names unilaterally.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸