request for subtag for Elfdalian

Mats Blakstad mats.gbproject at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 22:49:15 CET 2016

Not sure about the relevance of "Elfdalian" being used in the Ethnologue
when refering to it as a Swedish dialect; In the review process the RA used
Övdalian. I basically sent them the same arguments, and maybe/probably they
will even use Övdalian if a new code is approved in the future?

I also strongly disagree about the principle that English names should not
be changed; Words and names change all the time. We don't say 'nigger' or
'retarded' anymore, because the terms can be offensive for those we refer
to. To just use a name without considering how those we refer to think
about it just because "We've always used that term in English" seem to me
very arrogant. Also the English name is not trivial as translations in
other languages will usually be inspired by the name used in English. I
think ISO639/IANA really should start a modernization process where names
are updated according to the wish of the native speakers.

Beyond that, I don't have any opinion about Elfdalian/Elvdalian/Övdalian,
and to me it seems like the language users have different opinions.