request for subtag for Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Feb 18 18:41:15 CET 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> I want to make some comments on the rejection of a language code for
> Övdalian/Elfdalian:

These comments may (or may not) be helpful to try to persuade the
Language Subtag Reviewer and other participants on this list that
Elfdalian should be registered as a primary language subtag instead of a
variant subtag. They will not, of course, have any influence on the RA's
decision; this is neither the venue nor the audience for that.

I don't personally take any stand on which type of subtag should be
registered for Elfdalian, though I do believe one or the other should be
registered. However, I specifically reject any argument that we should
avoid registering a primary language subtag (of 5 to 8 letters) simply
because we've never done so before, or because current implementations
might be unable to handle it.

> I guess it will make most sense to register Övdalian/Elfdalian under
> Section 3.6 as a primary language subtag, and then remove the subtag
> again if RA accept a new ISO application in the future.

Be careful: subtags are never "removed," only deprecated. Deprecated
subtags continue to be valid for use forever, though users are cautioned
that there is a better choice; and it is well known that neither data
nor implementations change overnight.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸