Updated forms for 'alvdal'

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Feb 4 03:02:06 CET 2016

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I always knew it as Älvdalian, and don’t really know where this
> Elfdal came from. We don’t normally translate such things. It would be
> very helpful to know what history the language name has bad in English.

It's known as Elfdalian on the English Wikipedia and on the
English-language _Linguist List_ Multitree.  There are almost 13,000
hits for "Elfdalian" in Google, presumably mostly English, including both
scholarly and popular sources.  In particular, the English-language page
at <http://elvdalsk.inss.ku.dk/om/english> about the Trið råðstemną
um övdalskų, also known as the Tredje konference om elvdalsk, at
Københavns Universitet calls it the Third Conference on Elfdalian.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
If [Tim Berners-Lee] has seen farther than others,
        it is because he is standing on a stack of dwarves.  --Mike Champion