Spanglish

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Dec 21 18:06:19 CET 2016

> On 19 Dec 2016, at 22:51, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> That long list is exactly what makes me think this is a problem better solved by a unified mechanism than by a series of one-off registrations.

But as the proposal says:

Text may be essentially in Spanish with a large percentage of English loanwords (some of which are naturalized to Spanish grammar), or it may be in English with a large percentage of Spanish loanwords, or in the continuum between them.

That’s why en- and es- prefixes are necessary, and then spanglis says that it’s contact dialect rather than some other form of mixing.

Michael