Fire the programmer (was: Re: Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Apr 30 19:56:24 CEST 2016

Shawn Steele wrote:

> I think more likely is someone who's like "lets implement this" and
> someone else says "Joe wrote a library once" without double checking.
> Or someone trying to get done in a deadline and overlooked that bit.
> Or someone that built it based on a second hand understanding without
> reading the RFC themselves, etc.

Then right now would be a great  time for Joe or one of his colleagues
(or successors) to go back and tie up the loose ends in the library --
assuming the ROI is there, as Peter said -- before a real 5-letter
subtag gets assigned.

Back in the day, Joe wrote a Unicode library that only supported UCS-2
and didn't know about surrogates. Just in time, right before the first
Plane 1 characters were assigned, Joe updated the library to understand
UTF-16, and his company grew and prospered. We trust Joe to do the right
thing again, and if he doesn't, Luc can always fire him. :)

> Not saying those guys couldn't do better, but rather that they didn't
> necessarily have some sort of malicious intent.

Never implied that they did.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸