Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Apr 25 00:17:27 CEST 2016

Shawn Steele wrote:

>> You don't want to know how long the process took just to get RFC 4646
> and 4647, and later RFC 5646, through the IETF.
>
> Unfortunately, standards work isn't always lightning fast.

Understood. Just saying that if Mats thinks 16 months is a long time...

For reference, the request to add Medieval Greek to 639-3 has been on
hold since 2006, and the ones for Ecclesiastical and Katharevousa Greek
since 2009:
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_requests.asp

> I think that for Mats to be unblocked with his efforts, he should
> choose a private use tag for immediate use.  Then if this is all
> untangled in 6 or 12 months he can migrate to the "official" tag,
> whatever it may be.

I don't disagree, if his need really is as urgent as that.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸