Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Apr 24 19:27:58 CEST 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> The differences between British and American is really like a small
> peanut compared with the differences between Swedish and Elfdalian.

Of course. But Mark's point is still valid: whether one is talking about
British English versus American English, or Swedish versus Elfdalian, or
French versus Japanese, the statement that 50% of people on the street
consider the two different is not by itself linguistic evidence; it is
pop culture. That was my point about "Montenegrin."

> I start to get really tiered of this debate. I think we can debate
> this into eternity. I applied for the first subtag for Elfdalian 16
> november 2014. After this period there's been an ISO application and
> now a new subtag application. I worked on this issue 16 months now,
> non convincing arguments about Elfdalian being a Swedish dialect in
> this period.

You don't want to know how long the process took just to get RFC 4646
and 4647, and later RFC 5646, through the IETF.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸