Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Apr 23 21:38:10 CEST 2016

Shawn Steele wrote:

>> If Elfdalian gets an ISO639-code later in 8 months, 20 months or 32
>> months, then the language subtag can be retired.
>
> Retiring tags is “hard”.  I’d rather that people used a private use
> tag until the RA had another chance to look at the issue.

Retiring subtags is easy, but getting users to migrate existing data and
implementations to the new subtag is hard.

Every compliant implementation of BCP 47 should already support the
mechanism to map deprecated subtags to their Preferred-Value, so adding
another deprecated/preferred pair doesn't add to that problem. But this
doesn't work for private-use subtags.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸