Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Apr 23 21:32:26 CEST 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

>> That sort of proves my point.  If the users in need of Elfdalian are
>> aware of a private tag used by some provider of appropriate data,
>> then the community can use that tag.  It can even be localized, at
>> least on some systems.
>
> But I can't add a private subtag to any other platforms!

Wait a minute. If we're back to the argument that some third-party
vendor or group which claims to support ISO 639-3 coding doesn't support
private-use codes, that's neither our problem nor the RA's. Private-use
codes are an integral part of both 639 and BCP 47. That's not a good
argument against them.

A better argument against private-use codes, for something like this
where we expect either a 639-3 code or a BCP 47 subtag to be assigned
later, is that data would have to be changed and that is inconvenient
and unreliable.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸