Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at
Sat Apr 23 20:44:38 CEST 2016

> Instead, we are basically asking the RA : "Are you really, really sure?"

I think that tone would be good, at least for a first letter?  Saying "hey, someone wants a tag, you said no, and now it's on our plate, but we've looked at it and it really seems like a language to us."  

The last draft seems mostly OK, but a little antagonistic, I'd not scold them and tell them they're wrong ("ought to have done.")  How would we like it if they sent us a note saying we didn't know how to do our job?  The intent here is to ask them to take another look, not to chastise them for making the wrong decision. 

I'm not sure we're concerned about the reasons for the rejection.  We're concerned they came to the wrong decision, personally I could care less why they made the wrong decision except for the bit that might help convince them to the right decision.

> It's not so much about 8 more months as about how many times we should send an applicant back and forth. If Mats initiates an 639-3 appeal ...

Is that a possibility?  If so, perhaps that should be done in parallel?


More information about the Ietf-languages mailing list