Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 23 19:27:24 CEST 2016

From: Doug Ewell [mailto:doug at ewellic.org]
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 9:28 AM

> With that said, I can't see how the 639-3 process can be considered
> "far more publicly visible than [...] even the ietf-languages process."
> Everything about the ietf-languages process, all of the arguments pro
> and con, are handled on a public mailing list with a public web archive.
> All decisions are made on the list, not in meeting rooms. I don't know
> how you can get more open than that.

Yes, ietf-languages has a process in which the public can see everything discussed — provided they even know where to find those archives or even of the existence of this list. My experiences interacting with linguists in recent years is that they know of ISO 639-3, but not about BCP 47, let alone this list.

The basis of my statement is that the ISO 639-3 RA's process is _far more seen_ than is the process of this list.

Peter