Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Apr 22 05:22:21 CEST 2016

Mats Blakstad replied to Andrew Cunningham:

>> There is another aspect to all this. The inplicit implication is that
>> any tools that are based on language tags should treat Elfdalian as
>> part of Swedish. So things like keyboard layouts, spellxhecking, cldr
>> exemplary characters, indexable characters should be expected
>> support both Swedish and Elfdalian.
>
> Why should we register one language as a variant of another language?
> We don't do that for other languages. It makes no sense. And I guess
> we will have a hard time to add linguistic data for Elfdalian for
> Swedish language codes in other repositories; I guess most will not
> find it logical to register anything else then Swedish linguistic data
> under the Swedish language code.

I think Andrew was saying that's the implication of ISO 639-3/RA's
rejection of the code request -- not necessarily that most people on
this list would agree with that.

> We can of course send a new application next year to try to get an ISO
> language code and we can add comments from IETF, but at least we need
> to have the language subtag until then.

and later:

> I hope it can be sent soon so we at least can get a temporary solution
> with the language subtag.

I'm a little unclear on this "until then" and "temporary solution" bit,
Mats. What do you see as the "temporary solution" and the "permanent
solution"?

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸